- 1 bag of colored heirloom carrots
- 1 container of Gilbirtie’s mixed greens
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh ricotta cheese
- Par boil the carrots in salted boiling water until just tender. Dry the carrots off.
- Cook the bacon and remove the cooked bacon from the pan. Brown the carrots and cumin seeds in the bacon fat and leave the fat in the pan. Remove the carrots and season with a little salt.
- Add the mustard and the lemon juice to the pan with the bacon fat and whisk together until it emulsifies. Season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Toss the Gilbirtie’s greens in the olive oil and divide onto four plates. Place warm carrots, a little ricotta, sliced avocado, and shallots on each plate. Spoon a little bit of the bacon dressing on each and garnish with thyme leaves.
For more insight into the recipe and to enjoy a tour of Gilbertie’s Herb Garden, check out Chef Plum’s visit in the latest episode of Edible Nutmeg on the Road:
Related Stories & Recipes
Join us as Chef Plum visits Gilbertie's Herb Garden in Easton, CT for the second episode of Edible Nutmeg on the Road! Plum chats with owner Sal Gilbertie about his nursery and then puts together a de...