- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup sliced onion
- ¼ cup sliced Serrano peppers
- ½ cup sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 seasoned sausages or bratwurst
- 4 slices sourdough or preferred bread
- Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat in a sauté pan. Chop sausage into bite-sized pieces and cook on medium heat until browned, moving regularly to prevent burning.
- Set sausage aside and add 1 tablespoon olive oil to same pan. Add onions, shallots, and Serrano peppers to pan and cook over medium heat. Once vegetables are soft and beginning to brown, add garlic, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. Continue to sauté until well browned, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Set toaster oven to broil. Sprinkle brown sugar on toast and cook in toaster oven until toasted.
- Mix sausage and vegetables in a baking pan. Set toaster oven to 350° and place tray in oven for 20 minutes, or until mixture starts to smoke.
- Remove tray from oven. Drizzle 2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar over sausage and vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture onto toast and serve.
Related Stories & Recipes
Join Chef Plum as he hits the road in episode #11 of our video series, this time with a visit to Ambler Farm in Wilton, Connecticut, to learn about how they produce their maple syrup. Then watch our c...