- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 pounds cucumbers (about 6), cut into thick slices
- 1/2 an onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 20 dill sprigs, if wanted
- In a large, non-reactive pot, add salt, sugar, and vinegar until dissolved. Add cold water, and stir. Pop it in the fridge to chill until your vegetables are ready.
- Cut the ends off the cucumbers and cut into thick slices. Slice the onion. Smash the garlic. Layer the dill, spices and vegetables into a large jar. Cover with the brine. Put the lid on it and place it in the back of the refrigerator for about a week, then taste! They should be perfect! That’s it! You’re done!
- In my family, as we eat the pickled foods, we add more. When the liquid starts to get low, I mix up a little more brine. When you get down to about half a jar, feel free to add more veggies and shake well. It’s like a never-ending jar of wonderful, fresh pickles you’ve made yourself.