- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium sweet potatoes or yams, cubed
- 2 large parsnips, cubed
- 2 small or medium butternut squash, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 6 large carrots, rough chopped
- 3 stalks celery, rough chopped
- 4 tomatoes, rough chopped (canned will suffice if fresh are unavailable)
- 1 large red bell pepper, rough chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups cooked red or green lentils
- 1 can each of: chickpeas, black beans pinto beans, kidney beans
- 16 ounces vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 lemons, juices and zest separated
- 2 handfuls cilantro, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons each of: thyme, turmeric, cumin
- 1 teaspoon each of: ground coriander, cinnamon, Himalayan sea salt
- ½ teaspoon each of: ground nutmeg, fresh ground pepper, cayenne pepper
- Dollops of goat cheese, sour cream, or shaved parmesan for serving
In soup pot on medium heat, warm coconut oil and sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes, stirring so it does not brown. Add all vegetables except tomatoes, stir, cook 3 minutes.
Add vegetable stock and water and bring to a boil. Lower temperature to a light simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
Stir in beans, lentils, tomato paste, tomatoes, thyme, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, black pepper, and sea salt, and reduce heat for another 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Take pot off stove and gently fold in lemon juice, then stir in lemon zest. Transfer to table and top with cilantro and a dollop of goat cheese, parmesan cheese, or sour cream. Warm the bread in a preheated 400° oven for 1 minute and tear into big chunks to serve on the side. Enjoy!