- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 small sweet pumpkin
- 1 pint Fiji apple juice
- 1 pint water
- ½ lb. brown butter
- ¼ cup salt
- Optional garnishes: small bag miniature marshmallows or pumpkin seed oil
For the Brown Butter:
- Heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat.
- Slice butter into thin squares and melt in skillet, whisking frequently.
- Continue to cook the butter. Once melted the butter will foam up a bit, then subside. Keep an eye on the butter and note when brown spots begin to form in the pan. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma.
- Remove from heat and place on a cool surface to help stop the butter from cooking further and possibly burning.
For the Pumpkin & Apple Soup:
- Peel and clean squash and pumpkin, discarding seeds and peels. Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Put squash, pumpkin, Fiji apple juice, and water in a pot. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover all the ingredients. Add more water if needed.
- Add a pinch of salt. Cook until squash and pumpkin are soft and then transfer to the blender.
- Puree until smooth, adding water as needed to get the right consistency.
- Drizzle in brown butter and add salt to taste.
- Garnish with miniature marshmallows and/or drizzled pumpkin seed oil. Elm makes its own marshmallows, but store-purchased ones will also work!
Elm Restaurant: 73 Elm Street, New Canaan; 203-920-4994