- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons onion, minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, roughly chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup macadamia milk
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 6 large kale leaves (all similar in size), roughly chopped
- Vegan cheese to garnish (optional)
Soak cashews in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 400° in preparation for baking kale chips.
Using a medium saucepan or a cast-iron soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil, then the onion, broccoli, garlic, carrots, celery, and a pinch of sea salt. Sprinkle with flour and gently toss vegetables. Sauté for 3-5 minutes. Whisk in vegetable broth, coconut milk, and macadamia milk. Reduce heat to low and let sit for 5-7 minutes.
As soup rests to absorb flavors, place cashews in blender with ⅓ cup water and pulse. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place chopped kale on it in single layers. Drizzle a little olive oil, sea salt, and pepper and toss with hands. Reposition leaves into a single layer and pop in preheated oven for 1-2 minutes. Remove and immediately place chips on a plate to cool.
Transfer soup to blender and puree. Pour into bowls, add kale chips on top (and vegan cheese, if desired). Serve and enjoy!